Old & New Testament
I am reading primarily from the RSV (New Oxford Annotated Bible with the Apocrypha, expanded edition), and drawing occasionally from the King James Version. Unless otherwise indicated, any quotes are from the RSV. If you feel that I should be adding a different translation to the mix, please let me know in the comments.
I try to draw from online sources as much as possible so that my reader(s?) can follow the links and view the sources for themselves. That being said, however, I do occasionally find a written source that is just too good not to quote. Here’s a list of all the books I’ve cited more than once.
- Campbell, Joseph. The Hero With A Thousand Faces. New York: Princeton University, 1973.
- Chevalier, Jean & Alain Gheerbrant. The Penguin Dictionary of Symbols. London: Penguin Books, 1996.
- Collins, John J. A Short Introduction to the Hebrew Bible. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2007.
- Davis, Kenneth C. Don’t Know Much About Mythology. New York: HarperCollins, 2005.
- Davis, Kenneth C. Don’t Know Much About the Bible. New York: Eagle Brook, 1998.
- Douglas, J.D. (org. ed.). The New Bible Dictionary. Grand Rapids, Michigan: WM. B. Eerdmans Publishing, 1979.
- Ehrman, Bart D. The New Testament, 3rd edition. New York: Oxford University Press, 2004.
- Ehrman, Bard D. Misquoting Jesus. New York: HarperCollins, 2005.
- Geoghegan, Jeffrey and Michael Homan. The Bible for Dummies. New York: Wiley Publishing, 2003.
- Grimal, Nicolas. A History of Ancient Egypt. New York: Barnes & Nobles Books, 1997.
- Guthrie, D. et al. (ed.). The New Bible Commentary: Revised, 3rd ed. Grand Rapids, Michigan: WM. B. Eerdmans Publishing, 1970.
- Hobson, Christine. The World of the Pharaohs. New York: Thames and Hudson, 1990.
- Leeming, David Adams. A World of Myth. New York: Oxford University Press, 1990.
- Ludwig, Theodore. The Sacred Paths of the West, 2nd edition. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 2001.
- Matthews, Victor H. Manners & Customs in the Bible, 3rd edition. Peabody, Massachusetts: Hendrickson, 2006.
- Osiek, Carolyn and Margaret MacDonald. A Woman’s Place. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2006.
- Porter, J.R. The New Illustrated Companion to the Bible. London: Prospero, 2003.